Thursday, June 30, 2011

There's Spinach in My Smoothie!

Sometimes I eat vegetables. Yes, my life is not all cake, caramel corn, and cookies. Like this morning. I ate spinach. Well, it happened to be hidden in a sea of peanut butter, creamy almond milk, and banana, but hey, it was in there!

I love putting spinach and vegetables in my smoothies for the extra nutrient boost. Want to know the crazy part? You honestly cannot taste the spinach. I tell no lies! I try to sneak veggies into my meals in any way possible in order to counteract the buckets of frosting and ice cream (cherry chip please!) I eat on the regular. Excuse me? Did you just say, “That’s not how it works!”? Shame on you! This is my world, and yes, eating vegetables makes up for my insane sugar consumption. They balance each other out. Ying and yang, people. 

You may be thinking that vegetables in a smoothie is the most disgusting thing in the world, but you need to try this. TRUST ME! 
Unsafe driving practices. Don't do like I do.

Anywhoo, do you want to make a delicious, refreshing smoothie that is great for your body, but tastes like it’s not? Oh, I know you do. Your wish is my command. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think! I call it the Elvis+Popeye smoothie as a nod to Elvis' favorite sandwich and Popeye's spinach obsession. You figured that out before I explained it though, didn't you?

Elvis+Popeye Smoothie
  • 1 cup milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • ½ frozen banana 
  • Spoonful of peanut butter - add more or less to your taste (let's just say mine is a HEAPING spoonful)
  • Handful of spinach (Use fresh or frozen - I like to use frozen, chopped spinach)
  • Dash of cinnamon 
  • Sprinkle of chia seeds (Sooo good for you! Find em at Whole Foods, Henry’s, Mother’s Market, etc.)
  • ½-1 tbs. malt powder (malt powder=a dream come true)  
  • Handful of ice  
Blend together and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment