Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Run Faster

I often read other running blogs and drool over how these women have the time to sip coffee and go on long runs in the morning. Jealous.

Most of my mornings involve me rushing off to work, spilling coffee all over myself and then squeezing in a quick 30 minute run after work before whatever I have to do that night. All that to say, I wish I had more time to run. I don't. So, to get the most bang for my buck, I have been doing speed work. While speed work is great and can help you run faster, it can't take the place of long distance runs.

An example of a treadmill speed workout a la Megan: 

0-2 minutes - 6.0
2-4 - 7.0
4-6 - 8.0
6-8 - 7.0
8-10 - 6.5
10-12 - 7.5
12-13 - 9.0
13-14 - 6.0
14-15 - 7.0
15-18 - 7.5
18-20 - 6.5
20-21 - 9.0
21-22 - 6.5
22-23 - 9.0
23-24 - 6.0
24-25 - 7.5
25-27 - 8.0
27-28 - 7.5
28-30 - 7.0
Cool down.

I dare you to try that above workout and not be exhausted, butt fully kicked and feeling amazing! Ok, well, if you are not an experienced runner, I DO NOT encourage you to try this workout. This is simply what I have found works for me. :)

I hear people ask all of the time, "How can I run faster?" The answer is simple, yet complicated. It requires a lot of practice, hard work and sweat (yuck). People will give you so many tips on how to run faster, but as ridiculous as this sounds, if you want to be running faster, you have to, well, practice running faster! It will be uncomfortable, but pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone is the only way to do it!

Because I haven't had much more than 30 minutes to get a run in lately, I decided today that I would get more than my usual (as of late) 3ish miles....I hopped on the treadmill (aka DREADMILL-- ugh boring!) and busted out 5 miles. It was harder than I thought. I alternated between 7:45 min miles and 8 min miles...a lot slower than my race pace, but still pretty good.

When I was done, I was DRENCHED in sweat. I headed home to shower and grub.

I think I hurt. Ok, I know I hurt.


Maybe I need to add more of these toasted marshmallow milkshakes to my diet to give me more energy. Yes, that is the key to running faster. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment